Saturday, December 11, 2010

Down the Rabbit Hole

Today someone that I thought pretty highly of criticized me for researching conspiracies. I can certainly see where he is coming from, after all, we know that the life of this world is but amusement and sport, and the hereafter is what endures. However, I also find that the search for truth and the exposing of falsehood is a crucial element of the deen. Then there's the whole giving unwanted advice aspect. As Muslims we should be humble enough to admit when we're wrong and open to constructive criticism, yet at the same time, Allah knows a person's intentions, and there is a certain adab that goes along with naseeha. Muslims are all to ready to tell others what they should or should not do, I can see now the appeal of taking the path of Malamatiyya or the path of blame.
I battled greatly with my mood today. I lacked patience, I clung to anger. I can change the world and universe only by changing myself, the microcosm changes the macrocosm.

As Alice tumbles down the rabbit hole, she sees others around her unaware of their surroundings. She is only slightly ahead of them for she knows not where she is headed, only that she is headed somewhere. What can we know? Clues are all around us, hidden in plain sight. We must see with different eyes. Those who wish to remain blind are free to do so and we must give them that gift. Perhaps that is the friction we need within ourselves to remember how little we know. To think of ourselves as informed would be mistaken. To think that we can wake up another is wrong. We're all tumbling down the rabbit hole together, all we can do is smile and love eachother.

No comments: